Re: st: Charts/Graphs

From   Ulrich Kohler <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Charts/Graphs
Date   Thu, 9 Dec 2004 11:01:59 +0100

Ronnie Babigumira wrote:
> Every once in a while I need to draw some charts to illustrate a point
> (simple example, say a demand curve). I use MSOffice so I have tried
> using MS Word's drawing kit but the charts/graphs are simply never good
> enough and they get worse with increasing sophistication of the
> charts/graphs. I have tried to find an alternative and while there are
> some options for drawing organistation trees, I have not particulary
> found one suited for graphs.
>
> Im guessing this is something some on this list do so I would like to
> get some pointers on some good software for drawing graphs (please note,
> these are not usually based on data otherwise of course stata would be
> my all in all, just illustration graphs).

I cannot recommend another package. However even if you draw graphs which are
not based on data, Stata graphs might be helpfull. Two graph types are
important in this respect: -twoway function- and -twoway scatteri-. I often
use -scatteri-, with the connect option to draw pictures with boxes (i.e.
path diagrams). However for demand curves, -function- might be a better
choice. Drawing arbitrary graphs with Stata might be clumsy, but nice as an
exercise.

Many regards
uli

+49 (030) 25491-361