Re: st: running Stata remotely on OS X

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: running Stata remotely on OS X
Date   Sat, 23 Oct 2004 16:35:10 -0500

Phil Schumm <[email protected]> asked:

> Has anyone had any luck running Stata remotely under OS X?  I am
> trying to do so on a machine running 10.2.8 (tcsh shell):

A followup to this question.  What Phil is referring to when he says running
Stata remotely under OS X is running Stata in batch mode.  There is not a
version of Stata for the Mac that you can run both remotely and interactively.

Another user contacted me and noted he was having a similar problem as Phil's
original post.  After some more testing, I've determined why it works for me.
I was remotely running in batch mode to an OS X machine I was physically
logged into.  OS X will not allow you to run a GUI application if you're not
physically logged in and the Desktop is not visible.  That means the login
screen may not be up at any time (whether no user is logged in or you're
trying to switch users).

When Stata for the Macintosh is running in batch mode, the GUI is actually
up--it's just hidden from view.  Unfortunately, the GUI is so closely tied to
Stata that we cannot get around OS X preventing us from coming up in batch
mode.

-Chinh Nguyen