Re: st: Suggestion for an added graph feature

From   Richard J Stoll <>
Subject   Re: st: Suggestion for an added graph feature
Date   Tue, 3 Aug 2004 10:31:53 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 3 Aug 2004, Fred Wolfe wrote:

> Often enough I find myself making ad hoc graphs, by which I mean graphs
> that are not a part of a saved do or ado file. Sometimes I come back to
> those graphs and want to alter something. However, the graph statement no
> longer exists

I often use the pull-down menus to "fiddle" with a graph (which I assume
is what you are doing).  The graph command that is produced is displayed
in the Stata results window.  I copy the command from the window, and put
it in a .do file.  That way I can recreate the exact graph at a future
date (obviously I have to add commands to read in the dataset, transform
and/or select the data, etc. in front of the graph command).  As well,
this makes it easier to change something in the graph statement.
Richard J. Stoll, Professor of Political Science and
Associate Dean of Social Sciences * Rice University
Dept. Political Science MS 24 * P.O. Box 1892 * Houston TX 77251-1892
E-mail: * Tel: 713-348-3362 * FAX: 713-348-5273