st: Random number seed

From   "Subhankar Nayak" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: Random number seed
Date   Thu, 20 May 2004 10:15:39 -0400

Can the stata random number seed be itself randomized?

I am running a program called "" in the batch mode without
invoking/opening stata. This program carries out an analysis based on a set
of 1,000 uniform random numbers it generates.

However, since the random seed is always the same everytime I run the
program in batch mode, I get the same set of 1,000 random numbers each time
I run this program in batch mode. Results are identical which defeats the

Can this be changed?