st: Re: transparent background in graphics

From   Christopher F Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: transparent background in graphics
Date   Thu, 20 May 2004 08:10:39 -0400

On May 20, 2004, at 2:33 AM, Fredrik wrote:

I am indeed using Acrobat (or sometimes Keynote) for my presentations,
but the problem would be the same if I was printing transparencies...
I still cannot overlay the Stata graphic any background image and have
that image show through.

As for "Is this a bug?" I did *NOT* say "This is a bug" and thus I
think my comment is allowed. Now please tell me what color(none) is
supposed to do. I quote from the help file regarding colors:

" none no color; invisible; draws nothing"

Well, I am going to change my statement and say that YES, IT IS A BUG! ;-)

Fredrik
There is a semantic problem here, but not of the sort imagined. Mac OS X users are used to transparency of objects, both on the screen (which is PDF-generated) and on printed output. A white background will not allow items behind it to show through, whereas Mac OS X programs that support transparency (including the Finder which manages the GUI) will allow a non-white background to show through a foreground object. Such behavior is perhaps not very comprehensible to the computationally challenged who are used to that other operating system.

I agree, it would be very nice for Stata for Mac OS X to take full advantage of the transparency features inherent in Quartz. As some changes to Stata were made not so long ago to allow for Quartz-generated graphics, this might not be so difficult to fix.

Kit

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/