st: Re: regression on quartiles

Subject   st: Re: regression on quartiles
Date   Sun, 16 May 2004 12:33:50 -0400

I don't think that this is an appropriate use of sureg.  I thought that
sureg (and similarly mvreg) are both based on the assumption that the error
terms may be correlated across equations (typically these are
contemporaneous correlations).  In this case, the four sets of Ys and Xs in
a given observation are arbitrarily in the same observation (since the data
are simply divided by quartiles on another variables) -- there is no
contemporaneous association or any other reason why the data pair for any
quartiles are aligned in the particular observations they appear and no
reason to think that the residuals across equations have anything to do with
one another.

I believe the original post was interested in variations in the estimated
coefficient for X across quartiles of Z, which would be more appropriately
estimated by some dummy variable OLS approach (which could include separate
slopes and/or intercepts depending on the hypothesisi one wished to test).
One might also look at treating the quartiles as panels and using xtrchh2
,which provides a test for parameter constancy across panels.

Michael Blasnik
[email protected]