st: Problems transferring data from excel to stata!

From   "Andrea Molinari" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: Problems transferring data from excel to stata!
Date   Tue, 11 May 2004 17:59:27 +0100

Dear Statalisters,

I have a very simple (?) question, in the hope of getting any
While transferring data from Excel onto Stata (using Stat/Transfer v.5), my
.dta file has a couple extra rows and three more variables which are NOT in
my excel file. If I de-select these three variables, then the data on my
first variable (which is a string) disappears.
I tried by copying all the data in values on a new spreadsheet but the same
thing happens... I am puzzled because this did not happen to me before
(using the SAME database!)
Any suggestions?
Thanks very much!