Re: st: Problems transferring data from excel to stata!

From   "Neil Shephard" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Problems transferring data from excel to stata!
Date   Tue, 11 May 2004 18:19:12 +0100

> I have a very simple (?) question, in the hope of getting any
> suggestions....
> While transferring data from Excel onto Stata (using Stat/Transfer
> v.5), my .dta file has a couple extra rows and three more variables
> which are NOT in my excel file. If I de-select these three variables,
> then the data on my first variable (which is a string) disappears. I
> tried by copying all the data in values on a new spreadsheet but the
> same thing happens... I am puzzled because this did not happen to me
> before (using the SAME database!) Any suggestions?

One would be to avoid using Excel (which btw is a spreadsheet and not a database) for
_anything_, but obviously this is not very helpful and doesn't really help.

The extra observations and variables may well be because of white space that has
crept into the original Excel file, so try selecting the three rows after the data ends and
then deleting them, and repeat this for the columns as well.

There is no doubt a more elegant solution in Stata (or Stat/Transfer), but this may help
you to work around.

Regards

Neil

Neil Shephard
Genetics Statistician
ARC Epidemiology Unit, University of Manchester

"Contrariwise, if it was so, it might be; and if it
were so it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's
logic" - Tweedledee (Alice Through the Looking Glass)