RE: st: Stata Estimates to LaTeX Tables

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Stata Estimates to LaTeX Tables
Date   Tue, 11 May 2004 17:56:24 +0100

As the very old joke goes, the great thing
about standards is that there are so many to
choose from. What we're seeing here, I suggest, is some
difference across the spread of users in
tribal habits.

Another more recent jest asserts that attaching
asterisks to classes of P-values is `a symbolism
more appropriate to an hotel guide-book than
a serious scientific paper' (P. Sprent JRSS A
133: 139-165, 1970; quotation on p.143). Such
disapproval hasn't stopped it becoming
standard in some fields, and more importantly
in some journals.

Most bizarre of all is that the practice was introduced
by Frank Yates accidentally in his 1937 monograph
on experimental design. The asterisks were used
to indicate successive footnotes, but someone
must have thought this a new standard notation. That's
my version of the history any way: others may
have older references.