st: Re: RE: merging variable labels

Subject   st: Re: RE: merging variable labels
Date   Mon, 29 Mar 2004 10:03:29 -0500

You can do this within Stata -- Here's a program:

program define varlabmake
version 8.2
syntax varlist (max=2), saving(str)
if substr("`saving'",-3,.)!=".do" local saving "`saving'.do"
tempname f
tokenize `varlist'
file open `f' using "`saving'", write text replace
local N=_N
forvalues i=1/`N' {
local var=`1'[`i']
local lab=`2'[`i']
if "`var'"!="" & "`lab'"!="" {
file write `f' "label var `var' " _char(34) "`lab'" _char(34) _n
}
}
file close `f'
end

*note:  the -file write- command may wrap, depending on email issues

Then you can just

varlabmake varname varlabel, saving(varlabels.do)

to create your do file.  It doesn't have much data checking (does the
varname variable contain valid varnames? etc..) but it should work.

Michael Blasnik
[email protected]