Re: st: Re: winmail.dat

Subject   Re: st: Re: winmail.dat
Date   Tue, 03 Feb 2004 07:55:43 -0500

At 07:11 AM 2/3/2004 -0500, Christopher F Baum wrote:
This is the same problem that renders PDFs, despite their name, less than portable: a PDF without embedded fonts will look perfect to the Windows user who created it, and perhaps to another Windows user with a similar set of installed fonts, but all the maths are messed up when viewed on Linux, Mac OS X, Unix, etc. Email clients are the same: the
A tip here: On the Advanced menu of Adobe Acrobat (at least in version 6) there is an option for "Use local fonts." If you turn this off, you'll see how your document will look to those who don't have the same fonts you do. There are ways to get fonts embedded as necessary; I don't happen to recall how to do it but mine seems to handle it ok. You might still run into trouble if the fonts are not embeddable though.

On a related matter, some of Nick's winmail.dats are getting through to my machine; luckily I have one of those email programs (Eudora) that shows it as a cutesy icon.

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/