Re: st: assignment by indexing

From   Ernest Berkhout <[email protected]>
To   [email protected], <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: assignment by indexing
Date   Tue, 03 Feb 2004 13:47:02 +0100

At 13:37 03/02/2004, Ben Pelzer wrote:
Dear stata-users,

Since I'm a stata-rooky this question probably is very basic. I'm looking
for a way to copy the contents of a specific variable out of the list "x1 x2
x3 x4 x5" to a new variable, newvar, say. However, which variable to copy
depends on the value of another variable, index, say. So I would need
something like:

generate newvar = x(index).

How can I realize this in Stata? I looked through the P programming and the
U user manual, but got stuck. Ben Pelzer.
Not that basic, I think. At least I cannot think of a simple command to establish this. Many deppends on how exactly your index-variable looks. Does it takes the integer values 1 to 5? If that is the case, you might set up a loop using foreach or forvalues.
But maybe a simpler option is to split the problem in seperate commands, like:

generate newvar = .
replace newvar = x1 if index==somevalue
replace newvar = x2 if index==someothervalue
etc. etc.

This can be extended if index is allowed to be within a certain range of values:
generate newvar = .
replace newvar = x1 if inrange(index,lowestvalue,highestvalue)
etc. etc.

Eventually you may use the function inlist of index is allowed to take on several integer values.

Grtz,

Ernest Berkhout
SEO Amsterdam Economics
University of Amsterdam