st: Re: winmail.dat

From   Christopher F Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: winmail.dat
Date   Tue, 3 Feb 2004 07:11:44 -0500

On Feb 3, 2004, at 2:33 AM, Clive wrote:

Well, I certainly didn't see it! Do you think it might have something to
do with this 'MyDoom' stuff? My university inbox was affected by it
recently, some of which (inadvertently) connected to the list.
Not to be blamed on MyDoom this time. Rather, this is another example of the perils of monoculture (e.g. the Irish potato famine): if we all use the same tools, we don't see what the work looks like to those who don't. Statalist Archives will display the offending MS-gibberish, as does StataList-Digest, which I read on a non-MS mail client.

This is the same problem that renders PDFs, despite their name, less than portable: a PDF without embedded fonts will look perfect to the Windows user who created it, and perhaps to another Windows user with a similar set of installed fonts, but all the maths are messed up when viewed on Linux, Mac OS X, Unix, etc. Email clients are the same: the junk that MS Outlook or Entourage glues on to each message (if you don't tell them not to do so) will turn up as cute little icons to another MS Outlook user, but unreadable crud to the rest of the world.

So please read the Statalist FAQ, especially the section that provides help to those stuck with MS email clients by corporate fiat in making their mailers play nicely with others.

Kit

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/