st: Stata for windows, was: Graph problem

Subject   st: Stata for windows, was: Graph problem
Date   Mon, 6 Oct 2003 10:04:17 -0400

I feel a need to reply to SamL's rant against MS Windows and apparent
suggestion that Stata should stop developing for Windows.  I certainly agree
that Windows and MS have many shortcomings, but SamL's suggestion is absurd
and the primary justification -- Stata crashes are common and unavoidable
under Windows -- is just plain wrong.  I have used Stata for Windows since
it first came out (about 10 years ago?, before that I used Stata for DOS)
and I typically spend 20 hours/week  actively using Stata.  I have used it
under the more buggy versions of Windows prior to XP (my current platform)
and still I have experienced fewer than 5 Stata crashes in all 10 years of
use and none of those crashes brought down the operating system.  Stata is
the most stable piece of Windows software I have ever used -- crashing far
less than any MS products.

Michael Blasnik
[email protected]