Re: st: Stata for windows, was: Graph problem

From   SamL <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Stata for windows, was: Graph problem
Date   Mon, 6 Oct 2003 07:35:53 -0700 (PDT)

I wasn't ranting.  But, thanks Michael for confirming my statement.  Stata
is great on Windows--and that is indicated by saying it crashes far less
than any other Windows software.  Hooray! :-)

I know that many people are forced to use an OS that is as crippling as
Windows because someone else made the decision.  All I can say to that is
that's unfortunate (and, see below).  I am fortunate here in that persons
get to decide what OS they want to use.  Most go with Windows and spend
their days fighting with it.  I am a heavy stat user in my department, and
felt MS creates so much instability and often gets calculations wrong
(e.g., the excel probelm with sqrt(2)), not to mention that MSWord *still*
cannot by default put footnotes at the bottom of the correct page, so I
went with another OS.

But, so that I may interface with many individuals who use Windows, I have
a linux box and a windows XP machine side-by-side in my office.  The linux
box has *never* crashed in two years of service.  The windows XP machine
crashes an average of once a week.

That said, I have no expectations stata will stop writing for windows.
Indeed, I would think stopping writing for windows would be unwise.  My
expectation, I thought, freed me to make an extreme statement.  If that
frightened or angered some, I sincerely apologize.  To be clear, I do not
want Stata to stop writing for Windows (like they listen to me, anyway
:-)).  My point, was, however, that I doubt windows accounts for most
users--a small proportion of purchases by institutions can account for
hundreds of users.  And, those using non-MS OS's should know that the MS
strategy of withholding information means to write good software for
Windows one must throw much more money and time at the problem than for
other OS's.  To those who were lamenting the cost of manuals, here is
another factor in cost--the strength of the documentation in the OS
platform.  All this led me not to really want stata to stop writing for
windows.  I only wanted to suggest (and hope) that Stata does not get
side-tracked into dealing with problems MS creates, and ultimately end up
giving insufficient attention to the many who use much more stable OS's.

This would be evident were we to begin seeing rolling releases of stata,
where versions for different platforms are released at different times.
Or, weaker documentation for some platforms' versions.  Or, decreases in
the rate at which new models and options are added.

So, as far as I can tell this hasn't happened.  And, its great Stata
crashes less than other Windows software; this is likely due to the better
programmers at stata than other places.  But it is still true--we all pay
the costs of Bill's predatory strategy--in delayed advancements, crashed
machines, and lost work---even when we avoid Bill's software.  I'm just
hoping that cost can be kept low.

Sincerely and respectfully,

Sam