RE: st: RE: Graph problem

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: Graph problem
Date   Mon, 6 Oct 2003 11:21:57 +0100

SamL

> Just a quick note about customer base.  The single user base may be
> dominated by MS, but the institutional user base may be
> dominated by forms
> of Unix.  And, as most (but not all) individuals are also
> connected to
> some instititution, it is not clear that there are big advantages to
> windows marketing--especially if users end up hating the
> software because
> they think it is too buggy (for the reasons in my earlier
> post).  It'd be
> great to see some actual numbers on this, though.

I doubt that you'll see sales figures given
on this list. It's pretty clear, however, from grab
samples like Statalist mentions and user group meeting
presentations that Windows accounts for easily the largest
single share of Stata sales to individuals, hardly
surprisingly. There could be small biases in that sampling method,
but I guess that they lead to _underestimating_
Windows sales if anything.

Like Phil Ryan, I'd emphasise that this choice often has little
to do with users' assessment of platform merits.

Again like Phil, I'd like to see a technical answer
to Fred Wolfe's question. We know why Fred's syntax
is illegal, but less on why it caused a crash.

Having said that, I've used Stata on Windows almost
daily for several years; the number of times it
has crashed has been minuscule. I think I know
where to attribute the credit for that.