st: stat-transfer updates

From   Lee Sieswerda <[email protected]>
To   "Statalist ([email protected])" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: stat-transfer updates
Date   Mon, 25 Aug 2003 14:05:38 -0400

Hi all:
I have a problem with Stat-Transfer that has become rather intolerable ever
since I got a new machine loaded with Windows 2000.

Every now and then Stat-Transfer looks for updates via the Internet. This is
a great feature. However, the program that looks for updates requires admin
privileges, which I (and I suspect many others) do not happen to have. Thus,
every now and then when I try to start Stat-Transfer I get an error message
and I can't use Stat-Transfer at all until I can cajole an IT person to come
upstairs, log into my computer as admin, and run Stat-Transfer for me. The
really irritating thing is that there is almost never an update to download
after all of this kerfuffle!

Yes, I could change the time between updates to "Never", but I do like the
idea of Stat-Tranfer looking for updates for me. It would be nice if
Stat-Transfer would look for the update without requiring admin privileges
and then ask me if want to download the update. Or, better yet, it would be
like Stata and allow updates without ever having to log in as admin.

My IT people are quite willing (in fact, eager) to do whatever it takes
(short of giving me full admin privileges) to resolve the issue. So they
wonder: is there a registry entry that could be altered or some other
workaround to allow Stat-Transfer to run its update program without actually
having to log in as admin?

Has anyone else had similar troubles and been able to resolve it?

Thanks,

Lee

Lee Sieswerda, Epidemiologist
Thunder Bay District Health Unit