st: RE: graphing normally distributed variables

From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: graphing normally distributed variables
Date   Thu, 31 Jul 2003 12:21:04 +0100

victor michael zammit

> What I am trying to do here,is to take any normally
> distributed variable
> ,that is to say ,with any mean and standard deviation ,and
> disect it into 50
> equal intervals (bins) ,and then compare the two
> distributions.I would
> appreciate any comments on how this could be done differently :
> capture program drop bins
> program define bins

< code >

You are using some version of Stata <= 7.

Your program generates a normal with
10,000 observations and then draws a
histogram using -graph- and a frequency

You could make your program less noisy
by slapping

quietly {

around the calculations. Apart from that,
I don't know what to say as I don't really
understand what you want to do which is not
already supported.

What two distributions do you want to

If the problem is to compare a
variable with a reference normal, there
are at least two ways to do it graphically
in Stata <= 8.

1. -graph, histogram normal-
2. -qnorm-

In my experience the second is much more
effective at respecting coarse and fine
structure. The binning of the histogram
inevitably loses information.

If you seek a histogram with more than