st: Re: Selecting part of a LARGE file

Subject   st: Re: Selecting part of a LARGE file
Date   Fri, 6 Jun 2003 14:03:04 -0400

I'm not sure what the problem is -- I deal with this issue all the time.
Why not:

use filea
keep patent
sort patent
merge patent using fileb, nokeep
tab _merge

*optionally check the merging and drop non-matching obs from filea
keep if _merge==3
drop _merge

Maybe the problem is that you aren't using the -nokeep- option for the
merge.  With this approach, I find Stata to be quite fast at just selecting
the observations of interest and there aren't any substantial memory
problems because you never have to hold the full combined dataset in memory.
I'm sure this would be much faster than any ridiculously long use if....
construct (and your approach using index will certainly run out of room
after just a few dozen patent strings are appended togther).

Michael Blasnik
[email protected]