Re: st: Selecting part of a LARGE file

From   "Jesper B. Sorensen" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Selecting part of a LARGE file
Date   Fri, 06 Jun 2003 13:10:41 -0400

Glenn,

I don't have an elegant solution to this, but in my experience, a lot of what slows things down in these kinds of cases is memory constraints. To get all the data into memory, Stata likely has to use swap memory which brings things to a crawl.

So perhaps a way to speed things up is to split the big dataset into smaller files and then doing sequential merges. The files would have to be small enough that you could do the merge in RAM. There is a fixed cost involved with splitting up the big file, but if you might ever need to go back this would probably be worth incurring.

//Jesper