Re: st: Selecting part of a LARGE file

From   David Kantor <>
Subject   Re: st: Selecting part of a LARGE file
Date   Fri, 06 Jun 2003 15:51:19 -0400

At 10:47 AM 6/6/2003 -0500, Glenn Hoetker wrote:
Hi all.

I have two files.  File A has about 5000 unique values of the variable
PATENT, which is 7 characters long.  File B has 16 million observations
and several million unique values for PATENT.
I attempted using vallist.ado in File A to generate a long local macro
(say, _useme) and then doing

        use FileB if index(patent, "'useme'")

I get 0 observations in this case (even though I know there are some
matches).  From the manual, it appears that index is limited to strings
of 80 characters, anyway.
I agree with Michael Blasnik, that a -merge, nokeep- should work, and the -nokeep- is essential to making this manageable.

Putting that aside, and putting aside the 80-character limitation, the reason that
use FileB if index(patent, "'useme'")
gets no matches at all (when you do expect some) is that it should be...
use FileB if index("'useme'", patent)

-- the arguments are reversed.

Nick Cox replied that you should expect no matches; he didn't say why.

David Kantor
Institute for Policy Studies
Johns Hopkins University

* For searches and help try: