Re: st: Re: searching active log file

From   Philippe Glaziou <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Re: searching active log file
Date   Wed, 29 Jan 2003 18:48:49 +0700

Nick Cox <[email protected]> wrote:
> 1. Note that Stata's own -doedit- can be useful
> for looking at help files, so long as they are
> not too big.
>
> . findfile whatever.hlp
> . doedit `r(fn)'
>
> finds whatever.hlp along your -adopath-
> and opens it in -doedit-. This process is
> automated in -fedit- from SSC.

For some reason, this does not work properly on my system
[stata8/SE, q born: 17 Jan 2003, linux(network)].

If I type:

  . findfile egenmore.hlp
  . doedit `r(fn)'

then the file is not found by doedit. But in the case of my
favorite editor, the following command works:

  . !gvim `r(fn)'

However, all these three commands:

   . !!vi `r(fn)'
   . !!vi ~/ado/stbplus/e/egenmore.hlp
   . !!vi "~/ado/stbplus/e/egenmore.hlp"

will not work properly. A seemingly empty file is opened, and any
attempt to write causes vi to complain with:

   "~/ado/stbplus/e/egenmore.hlp" E212: Can't open file for
   writing

But the following is ok:

   . !!vi ado/stbplus/e/egenmore.hlp

The problem seems to come from the leading ~/ that is passed to
xshell.

> 2. As it happens, -egenmore.hlp- is too big for
> -doedit-.

Not mine, which handles the whole file without much of a
complain. But in no way will I stop using vi.

--
Philippe