Re: st: Re: searching active log file

From   Philippe Glaziou <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Re: searching active log file
Date   Wed, 29 Jan 2003 08:56:07 +0700

Don Spady <[email protected]> wrote:
> When viewing a snapshot of the log file, is it possible to
> search that log file for a specific phrase.  I do not seem to
> be able to do so and wonder if it is not possible or I haven't
> done the right thing.  Many thanks in advance.

In my experience, smcl files can only be viewed with the stata
viewer and the command -type- in stata8(console), none of which
offer an even basic text search feature --or I could not find it.
One option is to save or translate your logs as text, and view
them with any tool that allows a text search.

I also find it a bit irritating to be unable to do a text search
within a long help page. An exemple comes to mind: Nick Cox has
just released an update of his great package -egenmore-. I am now
interested in using his functions for dealing with minutes and
hours. Lazy as I am, I will want to jump to the first occurence
of "minute" or "hour" in the help page, rather than skimming
throught it until I find the right functions. Also, going up one
page (or going up one occurence) when needed, even though -more-
is set on, would often be helpful. All this is a given in pretty
much every unix text application, and I would really hate seing
stata evolving towards a windows/mac click-me-here thing with
fancy windows and a gastronomic menu.  Unfortunately, this is
were the market seems to be these days.

Anyway, the new graphics are superb, and stata(console) is
greatly improved, which both make me a very happy customer.

--
Philippe