RE: st: RE: problem referencing certain characters

From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   RE: st: RE: problem referencing certain characters
Date   Fri, 22 Nov 2002 15:23:30 -0000

> The quote characters work fine for me too in that same
> context, but for
> some reason, within my dofile the exact same code produces
> the r(612)
> error, "unexpected end of file."
>      replace `var' = subinstr(`var',`"""',"",.);
> That peice of code is in a series of replace commands
> within a for loop.
> when i comment out that single line it works
> fine...otherwise i get that
> error.

This reminds me of problems reported by Radu
Ban on 14 November and indeed by many others
on many other occasions. I don't know
whether using -for- is part or all of this
problem, but it could well be.

My strong advice is: don't use -for- for
tasks of this complexity. Use -foreach-
and/or -forvalues-.