Re: st: RE: problem referencing certain characters

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: problem referencing certain characters
Date   Fri, 22 Nov 2002 10:05:36 -0500

Nick,
Thanks for your suggestions.
The quote characters work fine for me too in that same context, but for
some reason, within my dofile the exact same code produces the r(612)
error, "unexpected end of file."
     replace `var' = subinstr(`var',`"""',"",.);
That peice of code is in a series of replace commands within a for loop.
when i comment out that single line it works fine...otherwise i get that
error.
Its inexplicable to me, probably tough to debug on your end too unless
youve had this exact problem before.
Anyway,
Thanks again
kyle

                    "Nick Winter"
                    <[email protected]       To:     <[email protected]>
                    >                                cc:
                    Sent by:                         Subject:     st: RE: problem referencing certain
                    [email protected]        characters
                    arvard.edu

                    11/21/2002 04:51 PM
                    Please respond to
                    statalist

I don't have any trouble with the quote characters:

. clear

. set obs 1
obs was 0, now 1

. gen str10 junk=`"abc"abc"'

. list

           junk
  1.    abc"abc

. gen str20 j2=subinstr(junk,`"""',"",.)

. list

           junk                    j2
  1.    abc"abc                abcabc