RE: st: RE: file wrote single opening quote

From   "Nick Winter" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: file wrote single opening quote
Date   Mon, 18 Nov 2002 10:59:26 -0500

In general, my basic reaction to the recent threads on this sort of
thing is that Stata is not perl, and so is not really the greatest tool
for this sort of thing.  The reason that local macros are so powerful in
Stata is that they are parsed at a *very* low level, which makes it hard
to read and write arbitrary strings containing local macro references.

That said, if you really want to go down this path, you will probably
have to do the writing (and maybe the reading too) at a lower level,
using -file-'s binary read/write capabilities.

My -log2do2- program does this for tranlating .log files into .do files.

	ssc desc log2do2

for that program, which might be helpful in designing what you're doing.

Nick Winter