RE: st: RE: file wrote single opening quote

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: file wrote single opening quote
Date   Mon, 18 Nov 2002 16:01:20 -0000

Ulrich Kohler

> > use _char(96)
>

> This don't works for me. I got the macro `line' from -file
> read-. The file I
> read may contain lines with single quotes and/or macro
> names. To wrote this
> line (after some selections and/or replacements) to another
> file I use file
> write. To use the _char(96)-solution I need to substitute
> single opening
> quotes with something like:
>
> local line: subinstr local line `"`"' `"_char(96)"'
>
> which does not work.
>
> Here is a (very) simple example of the problem. Consider the
> following sequence:
>
>   file open texfile using saving.tex, replace write text
>   file open dofile using using.do, read text
>   file read dofile line
>   while r(eof)==0 {
>     file write texfile _n `"`line'"'
>     file read dofile line
>   }
>   file close dofile
>   file close texfile
>
> This should "copy" the file using.do to the file
> "saving.tex" line by line.
> It works---but not for lines with local macros...

Agreed. And this broad problem has bitten others
as well, including Kit Baum, Roger Newson
and myself. What we need is some way of inhibiting
Stata from interpreting the local macro, and
the only way to progress might be to read in the
file as binary. Nick Winter has some code which
you might want to look at.

Alternatively, it might be easier to do this
outside Stata: Awk, Perl, Python, whatever.

If there's some character you never use normally,
a combination approach might be to map ` to
that character, do most of the processing
in Stata, and then reverse the mapping.