Re: st: RE: RE: A simple but really hard question

From   Ronan Conroy <[email protected]>
To   "statalist hsphsun2.harvard.edu" <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: RE: RE: A simple but really hard question
Date   Thu, 31 Oct 2002 09:49:11 +0000

on 30/10/02 9:43 pm, Li, Wenjun at [email protected] wrote:

> Thanks, everyone. A friend has suggested to use "double-octiles" for
> quantiles based on division into 16 groups of equal frequency. How do you
> think about this?  "Sedeciles", as suggested by Nick Cox, is a possible name
> too.

How about sixteenths?

Cis-Atlantic music notation is bedevilled with medieval note-value names
called quavers and crotchets and demisemiquavers. The Germans brought to
America a simple system that calls notes whole notes, half, quarter etc.

I frequently refer to n-tiles as quarters, fifths and tenths. The system is
extensible. And, indeed, generating too many quantiles from a small dataset
produces fewtiles.

Incidentally, what happens if you divide your data into three groups based
on rank, send them down the New York drains and teach them martial arts?

Ronan M Conroy ([email protected])
Lecturer in Biostatistics
Royal College of Surgeons
Dublin 2, Ireland