RE: st: RE: RE: A simple but really hard question

From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   RE: st: RE: RE: A simple but really hard question
Date   Thu, 31 Oct 2002 10:57:34 -0000

Ronan Conroy
> How about sixteenths?
> Cis-Atlantic music notation is bedevilled with medieval
> note-value names
> called quavers and crotchets and demisemiquavers. The
> Germans brought to
> America a simple system that calls notes whole notes, half,
> quarter etc.
> I frequently refer to n-tiles as quarters, fifths and
> tenths. The system is
> extensible. And, indeed, generating too many quantiles from
> a small dataset
> produces fewtiles.
> Incidentally, what happens if you divide your data into
> three groups based
> on rank, send them down the New York drains and teach them
> martial arts?

Good precedent for this. Tukey used fourths, eighths,
sixteenths, etc., for _one_ way of calculating such measures:
except that noting the sequence Fourth, Eighth, ..., he
switched to letter values D, C, B, A, Z, Y, etc.

The whole idea is encapsulated in Stata's -lv-. Somehow,
it has never quite made it to mainstream, I suspect.