st: Statalist and requests for private help

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Statalist and requests for private help
Date   Wed, 23 Oct 2002 16:28:53 +0100

A member asked

> ... If anyone has sample code they could share,
> please e-mail  me off-list.

Please note that it is not Statalist policy
that this list be a conduit for requests
for private help. The FAQ makes clear
our practice -- followed throughout the list's
entire life -- that answers should be sent to the
list, the whole point being of course that they
may be of interest to many others.

The only exceptions to this, I suggest, are that

1. People may ask for expressions of interest from
Statalist members in undertaking paid
consultancy or in applying for Stata-related
posts. You are, in effect, offering opportunities
to Statalist members and such expressions
should of course be private.

2. Occasionally, it may be appropriate to
ask for private responses when accompanied
by a firm promise to collate and summarise
replies in a later report to the list.
(In practice, my impression is that this
seldom works on Statalist, partly given the ethos
of public question and reply, and partly
for other reasons.)

Naturally, none of this affects in
any way your total right to engage
in private exchanges with others.