st: Re: duplicate names

From   baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: duplicate names
Date   Tue, 08 Oct 2002 09:46:48 -0400

--On Tuesday, October 8, 2002 2:33 -0400 Nick wrote:

Advice therefore under various different
headings:

1. The more user-written material you install,
the more likely it is that this will
occasionally happen to you. I stress
"occasionally", but when it does happen,
it is not always obvious why you are
getting strange error messages and
you can be a while before you realise
what the problem is.
With regard to this possibility of having multiple ado's, written by different people to do different things, under the same name, let me indicate that this will not happen with material in the SSC archive in one sense--the archive can only contain one copy of foo.ado. It is possible that I inadvertently fail to notice that foo.ado from package Y supersedes foo.ado from package X, and in so doing mess up package X. But I try to catch those instances, and in fact those collisions are relatively few.

A more likely occurence is that the current version of foo.ado, used by package Y, is no longer compatible with earlier versions of package X, which also legitimately uses it. If strange results are forthcoming, as Nick suggests, one sensible strategy is to reinstall all packages that are producing strange results, wnsuring that you have the most recent versions of the software.

Kit
Christopher F Baum, Boston College Economics, Chestnut Hill MA 02467 USA
[email protected] http://fmwww.bc.edu/ec-v/baum.fac.html
*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/