st: Graph preferences - which?

From   "R. Allan Reese" <[email protected]>
To   Stata distribution list <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Graph preferences - which?
Date   Wed, 2 Oct 2002 11:47:45 +0100 (BST)

Stata has options to set colours, line widths, line styles etc.  The
commands are fully described, but this may be like confronting monkeys
with typewriters - which to choose?  I have looked at the Stata web site
and checked the list archives, so unless I've overlooked it, this obvious
FAQ has not been asked before.  Statacorp provide some pallettes, but to
me these seem arbitrary in parts and not directed to specific
applications.

Specifically, I would like to hear about users' experiences in setting
preferences for:
(a) interactive use on the screen (for which I prefer a white background
and avoid yellow lines!)
(b) printing on a B&W printer (for which I commonly increase the
magnification and use landscape to avoid wasting half the sheet)
(c) printing on a color [sic] printer (usually meaning a bubblejet)
(d) for incorporating by software into a document (there is a FAQ about
editing Stata graphs in Word)
(e) for incorporating into a web page.

As these are pretty wide questions, I suggest in the first instance that
list users reply to me, with suggestions based on what worked for them, or
comments based on technical parameters, psychology of perception, etc.
I'll summarize or collate the replies.

R. Allan Reese                       Email: [email protected]