st: RE: converting bracketed to continuos values

From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: converting bracketed to continuos values
Date   Wed, 2 Oct 2002 11:02:50 +0100

Nahid Tabatabai
> I have an account balance variable with bracketed values
> for some of the observations. I need to convert those
> bracket values to continuos values. What is the best way of
> doing that? What type of regression I can use for this
> variable? It's the dependent variable.

I guess this means that you have a variable with non-numeric
characters, presumably [], which Stata will be holding
as a string variable.

If so, then use -destring- to strip the "[]"

. destring myvar, ignore([]) replace

or (safer)

. destring myvar, ignore([]) generate(newvar)

See on-line help for -destring-.