st: RedHat 7.3 and stata

From   Henrik Støvring <>
To   statalist <>,
Subject   st: RedHat 7.3 and stata
Date   Tue, 24 Sep 2002 11:39:18 +0200

Dear All,

This is a message for all using Stata 7 on an updated RedHat 7.3: Version 5.2 of the package ncurses is not compatible with Stata 7, and this will disallow you to run Stata in non-GUI-mode. The remedy I found, was to install a package providing backwards compatibility, ie. ncurses4-5.0-5.i386.rpm, available from rpmfind. I think Stata should consider updating their executables so as to make them compatible with the newest versions of the ncurses library.

PS: The error message is shown below:

[localhost]# stata
/usr/local/stata/stata: error while loading shared libraries: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Henrik Støvring, M.Sc.

National Centre for Registerbased Research
Aarhus University
Tåsingegade 1
8000 Århus C
Phone: (+45) 8942 6817