st: RE: Summarize without Min and Max

From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: Summarize without Min and Max
Date   Thu, 12 Sep 2002 17:33:55 +0100

> I am working on confidential unit record files and my
> output is not allowed to identify individual respondents.
> This prevents using the "Summarize" command when I want
> means and std deviations of my variables, because Max and
> Min are also included and these refer to individual respondents.
> While I can use Tabstat it is much less convenient because
> I have to specify the varlist (and using _all fails because
> there are string variables in the dataset).
> Does anyone have a version of the Summarize command that
> suppresses the Min and Max?

In addition to other answers:

-ds3- from SSC can filter out all string variables.

That is

. ds3 , num
. tabstat `r(varlist)' ...

takes all variable names, selects those
that are names of numeric variables and then sets
-tabstat- to work on those.