st: Hardware suggestions

From   Yvonne �berg <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Hardware suggestions
Date   Mon, 26 Aug 2002 16:15:13 +0200

Hello,

I currently have a rather powerful HP Vectra (Pentium 4, 1.8 Ghz, and 2 Gb
in RAM), but I need to use large data sets (2-3 gb) and I am wondering
whether one should consider switching to the unix world. I do not have any
previous experience of working with Stata for Unix so it would be
interesting to know what other users think about this. Which platform should
one primarily consider when cost is a major concern? Are Windows-based
work-stations an alternative?

Best,
Yvonne

Department of Sociology