st: Bootstrap and percentages

From   "Michael R. Smith" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Bootstrap and percentages
Date   Mon, 26 Aug 2002 11:47:13 -0400

I'm processing some data that was generated with a complex sample design but
to which, for reasons of confidentiality, I don't have direct access. This
means that the svy commands are not a practical option. Use of them requires
correction for PSUs with only one case - but the PSUs with missing values
that reduce them to one case will vary depending on variables in the
analysis. Submitting my code to the person who runs it in order to find out
when and where to merge PSUs would, then, become an extremely cumbersome
process.

So bootstrapping looks like the most practical method for inferential
purposes. It's clear how to do that with regression and related procedures.
But's it's not obvious to me how one should go about using the bs command to
generate standard errors for a percentage table. The bs command requires
specifying each coefficient to be bootstrapped. How does one specify cells
in a percentage table? Part of the analysis requires generating percentage
tables with quite large numbers of cells, so I need to generate a large
number of standard errors.

I've read what seem to be the relevant sections of the manual and rooted
around in the FAQs and other documentation for an answer, so far with no
success.

Michael Smith