st: RE: variable storage type

From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: variable storage type
Date   Thu, 25 Jul 2002 18:45:32 +0100

Scott, Molly
> I'm having some issues trying to format variables--
> sometimes type-- i.e.
> long vs string etc.-- doesn't survive the stat-transfer
> process correctly.
> I know I can change string to essentially categorical
> variables with labels
> with encode, but does anyone know how to change the
> underlying storage type
> of the variable?  The folks here are SAS people and don't
> know how to do
> such an operation in STATA.

I suggest that you check out help for -compress-,
-recast-, -destring-. Several chapters
of the User's guide [U] are also useful.

-destring- may need to be your first port of

-- although explicitly about problems with
Excel -- touches on several details
which can cause misreadings of variables
so far as users are concerned.