st: RE: Missing values

From   "Nick Winter" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Missing values
Date   Tue, 25 Jun 2002 10:43:52 -0400

One way to go might be to create a dataset of mean community prices
using -collapse-, and then use -merge- to apply that data back to your
dataset.

	. collapse unitvalu , by(lc1code exp)
	. rename unitvalu meanprice
	. sort lc1code exp
	. save pricedata
	. use <original dataset>
	. save pricedata
	. merge lc1code exp using pricedata

	. generate estqty = <amtspent> / meanprice

As it stands, the -collapse- will calcuate the mean price for each
community-exp combination, based on a simple average of the prices in
the dataset.  If you want it weighted based on quantity purchased, I
think this will do it:

	. collapse (sum) unitvalue quan, by(lc1code exp)
	. gen meanprice = unitvalue/quan
	. drop unitvalue quan

--Nick Winter