st: Missing values

From   Babigumira Ronnie <>
Subject   st: Missing values
Date   Tue, 25 Jun 2002 07:23:01 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Listers
I have data on household expenditure. Households bought "x" kgs (quan) of
food crops (exp) worth a certain amount of money (unitvalu). However, I
have cases where the quantity bought is missing (either because the
household couldn't recall or an error in data collection) however the
amount spent by these households is known. The variables are

lc1code   housecode  exp   quan  unitvalu
11233      112331    566    1        500

I would like to replace the missing quantities purchased with community
(lc1code) averages. If the lc1code, food item (exp), unitvalu are the same
then we can deduce the quantity (quan) that can be purchased by that
amount of money. What I now want to do is to replace all missing
quantities with a value imputed from community averages. To make it more

If we know that 500/= buys 1kg of cassava in a given community, then a
respondent in the community who spends 500/= on cassava should
automatically be purchasing 1kg.

I want to write a code that would automatically execute this for all
missing cases however, I can't figure out where to start. I would
appreciate any help.

Do You Yahoo!?