Re: st: offset/exposure term in poisson analysis

From   SamL <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: offset/exposure term in poisson analysis
Date   Tue, 25 Jun 2002 07:31:21 -0700 (PDT)

As a stata beginner I would recommend the book by Hardin and Hilbe titled
*Generalized Linear Models and Extensions* published by Stata Press.
Hardin and Hilbe write that if one uses the exposure subcommand one uses
the actual value for the exposure, which will be (natural) logged.
However, if one uses the offset subcommand one should take the natural log
of the exposure variable and put the new variable in the parentheses.
For example, if my exposure variable is pop, a count of the people in the
population, my code would be something like this:

exposure(pop)

or

offset(lnpop) (assuming I computed lnpop to equal ln(pop))

The Stata manuals also state that it is often easier to use the commands
for the exact model if they exist in Stata rather than using the glm
module. Hence, you might try the poisson command, or if you have
over-dispersion, nbreg (negative binomial regression model), rather than
glm. Not that I know anything about your substantive research question or
other factors that may have led you to glm.

Hope this helps.

Take care.
Sam