Re: st: OLS regression versus survival analysis

From   "ellen mastenbroek" <>
Subject   Re: st: OLS regression versus survival analysis
Date   Wed, 12 Jun 2002 15:42:00 +0100

Hi Ronan,

Thanks for your answer. However, I may not have been clear enough in stating my question: I meant OLS with time until the event as the dependent variable.

As to your suggestion: I have already run the KM graphs, as well as Cox regression. But then I thought: why bother if right censoring is only 3 percent... (and there are no TVCs). Especially because in this case I think the OLS interpretation makes more sense theoretically...

On Wed, 12 Jun 2002 15:10:40
 Ronan Conroy wrote:
>on 12/6/02 1:05 PM, ellen mastenbroek at wrote:
>> I have set out to do a survival analysis, but it has become clear that only 3
>> % of the cases are censored. Is it advisable to then carry out regular OLS
>> regression instead (the advantage being that OLS results are more easy to
>> interpret)?
>No. Your endpoint is binary. You want to figure out what effect does a
>particular predictor have on the risk of an event happening. That's a hazard
>Start with Kaplan Meier graphs, which are even easier to interpret than OLS
>regression, and work from there.
>Ronan M Conroy (
>Lecturer in Biostatistics
>Royal College of Surgeons
>Dublin 2, Ireland
>+353 1 402 2431 (fax 2329)
>And now, Mr President, how about the global alliance against climate change?
>*   For searches and help try:

WIN a first class trip to Hawaii.  Live like the King of Rock and Roll
on the big Island. Enter Now!