Re: st: OLS regression versus survival analysis

From   Ronan Conroy <>
Subject   Re: st: OLS regression versus survival analysis
Date   Wed, 12 Jun 2002 15:10:40 +0100

on 12/6/02 1:05 PM, ellen mastenbroek at wrote:

> I have set out to do a survival analysis, but it has become clear that only 3
> % of the cases are censored. Is it advisable to then carry out regular OLS
> regression instead (the advantage being that OLS results are more easy to
> interpret)?

No. Your endpoint is binary. You want to figure out what effect does a
particular predictor have on the risk of an event happening. That's a hazard

Start with Kaplan Meier graphs, which are even easier to interpret than OLS
regression, and work from there.

Ronan M Conroy (
Lecturer in Biostatistics
Royal College of Surgeons
Dublin 2, Ireland
+353 1 402 2431 (fax 2329)

And now, Mr President, how about the global alliance against climate change?