st: -njc_stuff- available on SSC

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: -njc_stuff- available on SSC
Date   Sun, 24 Jun 2007 19:40:46 +0100

Thanks to Kit Baum, a new module has been added
to SSC, called -njc_stuff-. Stata 7 is required
to read the files easily, although any users of earlier
versions of Stata could probably manage so long as they
can read through what to them will be cryptic SMCL
mark-up.

You can install it by

. ssc inst njc_stuff

Please note that _no_ programs are included. The package
consists of two help files only.

NJC are my own initials. The module contains lists of my programs
(and a few stand-alone help files) available in the public
domain. Over a decade or so, I have been pushing stuff at the
Stata community through Statalist, SSC, the Stata Journal,
the Stata Technical Bulletin, and yet other outlets, and I started
to get confused and forgetful myself about what was where.

I have maintained private versions of these files
for some years and sent copies from time to time to
various people. I have some reservations about publishing
them in case that act seems rather egocentric, but as usual those
not interested can ignore them, and I hope that some
people will find them useful by listing work that might be helpful.
Kit's monthly listings of SSC downloads show very little relationship
between what is popular and what I am most proud of!

The files do not include transient or trivial programs that never
got documented properly, principally various on-the-fly efforts
in Statalist postings.

Thus anyone who uses my work might want to consider questions such as

1. I am using this program by Nick Cox. Is there something later and/or
better, either by him or by someone else?

2. I like this program by Nick Cox. Has he done similar programs
that might be useful also?

Once installed by

. ssc inst njc_stuff

you have two new help files.

. help njc_stuff

fires up an alphabetical list with annotated comments on
various packages. This is for questions of type 1.

. help njc_best_stuff

fires up a thematic list of what I consider my best stuff.
This is for questions of type 2.

Users of recent versions of Stata will not need to type
the underscores.

"Best" is best -- in my judgement alone -- compared with what
is available elsewhere in Stata 9 [sic]. Stata 10 makes some further items
redundant, but it is too early for me to document that
systematically. I don't maintain various older things, but most
have been banged on rather hard and should do what they claim.
If not, I remain accessible.

Anyone who notices a large amount of obsolete or superseded
stuff will probably realise that users of older versions
of Stata might nevertheless find some of those items of
relevance to them.

At the same time, with Kit Baum's continued and much appreciated
help, I have quietly destroyed a few dozen packages on SSC over the years
that now seem virtually useless, even to people on antique versions of
Stata. Only last week one was put down, given the advent of a more
versatile alternative by Ben Jann.

Some of this work is joint. I hope that none of my co-authors objects
to joint work being listed in this form.