RE: st: Windows (& Vista) will not search within do files.

From   "Grealy, Patrick J" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Windows (& Vista) will not search within do files.
Date   Fri, 22 Jun 2007 14:20:30 -0500

In addition to the DOS -find- command there is -findstr- which I use
quite frequently on my Windows XP machine. Even for file types which the
Windows Search includes, I prefer the output of this command when used
on text files. The -findstr- command has many more options, including -
/s -, which searches through all sub-directories. There is also
provision for handling regular expressions and pattern matching but I
have never used these and cannot say how well they perform.
Pat G.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of David Kantor
Sent: Friday, June 22, 2007 11:59 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: Windows (& Vista) will not search within do files.

At 04:55 PM 6/21/2007, Rodrigo wrote:
>I like your solution. I should say rather than complex, over-protected
>over-"visualized". Maybe someday we will return to the basics.
>
>DOS lives!! :-)
>Rodrigo.
>[...]

>Several people have given useful suggestions. I will tell how I
>handle this. I do it the old-fashioned way -- in the command prompt
>using the -find- command. (And I never had the problem Paul
>mentioned; I wasn't even aware of it.) I may be out-of-date, but to
>me this is an example of how modern user-interfaces have become so
>complex that they cause more problems than they solve.

Thank you for that validation. And I agree with your assessment of
"over-protected" and "over-visualized".

I'm not really a champion of DOS in particular.  (And what we are
dealing with is really the command environment of Windows, which is
not exactly the same as DOS.)  I also find DOS (or the Windows
command environment) to be a bit disappointing, after having worked
in some others for many years.  What I do prefer is the general
concept of a command environment -- old-fashioned, but very powerful
if you know how to use it. Evidently, many others agree, as some of
the other responses have been about programs that provide various
alternative command environments under Windows.