st: Re: Appropriate estimation method to use with panel data with lagged endogenous variables occurring in different time periods?

From   "Rodrigo A. Alfaro" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Re: Appropriate estimation method to use with panel data with lagged endogenous variables occurring in different time periods?
Date   Tue, 12 Jun 2007 15:23:55 -0400

///
Think wide:

(1) Run a linear model without taking in account the nature of the variables. This will give you some idea about the sign of the coefficients. (2) Use ANOVA or MANOVA procedures to analyze your data. You can obtained the combined effect of smoking and breastfeeding. This is a modified Maarten's suggestion (... always... there is a much simpler way of answering the research question). (3) About timing, note that breastfeeding (x1) is relevant just to one year (it would be good to have a more specific description, like up to 3 months, 6 months, etc. Research has showed that 6/9 months are fine for the development of the brain. I read in a Pediatric magazine!!), but smoking (x2) is relevant up to age 3 then you claimed that both are associated with income (it seems to be education, but I guess that income is a good proxy here). I guess that income in the first year is similar to income in the second and third year, regardless of your field I can thin that even income(t) = cons + rho*income(t-1) + u(t), with rho very close to one, then I think that using lagged income is fine for both variables. You can also try both income, but they could be highly correlated. (4) For sufficient number of data, you could work in small groups, like doing your analisis for some particular quartile of income or some percentile of low birthweight. (5) IV+probit sounds good, you could try it... maybe Woolridge (2002) "Cross Sectional and Panel Data Econometrics", MIT Press (also known as "The Black Book", because it is black... not other reasons) could give you some help in how to deal with that problem in the case of IV+probit. (6) Using logit instead of probit you could "solve" for the binary-endogenous variables as it was done for the case of conditional logit. With that and probably assuming that also the binary-endogenous variables are generated by a logit-process you could (I am not sure) rewrite the model such that it looks like a system of the equation. Otherwise, under probit, you need to deal with complication of the non-linearities that are ver very hard (the cdf of a normal distribution has not a closed-form, then how you can compute the inverse function of that cdf?).

Rodrigo.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tiffany Green" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Tuesday, June 12, 2007 2:42 PM
Subject: st: Appropriate estimation method to use with panel data with lagged endogenous variables occurring in different time periods?

I have a 3 period model which estimates the effect of
maternal behaviors (smoking and breastfeeding) on
child health (asthma). Childhood asthma at age three
is a function of smoking at (up to) age 3 and
breastfeeding up to age 1. Low birthweight is also
treated as endogenous. So, I have three endogenous
(and dichotomous) RHS variables:

asthma at age 3=f(smoking at (up to) age 3,
breastfeeding at age 1, low birth weight, various
socioeconomic characteristics).

I was advised to use IV probit, but from what I
understand, because all of endogenous regressors are
binary and not continuous, this would not be
appropriate to use in this case. I also gather that
mvprobit would apply more to SURE types of models.

The other issue is that I am unclear how to account
for the fact that my endogenous variables appear in
different time periods, and so using a simple ivreg
type of command would not seem to be appropriate. For
example, breastfeeding at year 1 would be a function
of say, income at year 1, while smoking at year 3
would obviously be a function of say, income in year
3.

I would appreciate any advice on what estimation
method or methods would be more appropriate in this
case.

If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.
-Albert Einstein

* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/