RE: st: RE: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: RE: IQR

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: RE: IQR
Date   Thu, 7 Jun 2007 20:38:34 +0100

Very good. This could perhaps be added like this:

0. "Outliers are sample values that cause surprise
in relation to the majority of the sample" (W.N.
Venables and B.D. Ripley. 2002. Modern applied
statistics with S. New York: Springer, p.119).
However, surprise is in the mind of the beholder
and is dependent on some tacit or explicit model
of the data. There may be another model under which
the outlier is not surprising at all, so the
data really are lognormal or gamma rather than normal.

Rich's use of the word "surprise" reminded me of
the quotation from Venables and Ripley.