Re: st: Re: -firstdigit- available from SSC

From   n j cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Re: -firstdigit- available from SSC
Date   Mon, 28 May 2007 15:24:14 +0100

In addition to other answers:

There is no simple way to do this. Apart from
those user-written ado files that remain private,
those in the public domain and on the internet may be
in many different places:

1. The Stata Journal/Stata Technical Bulletin website.

2. SSC.

3. All other institutional and personal websites.

There is no central directory, and long may that remain
so. Rather, -findit- will find (most) of what is there
is, so long as you feed it keywords.

Even if it were possible, it would not be a good idea:

1. You would still have the problem of identifying
what you had installed and working out what was any
good to you.

2. You would be installing software of different degrees
of generality and quality. Some of it has also been
superseded by other programs. Some of it is buggy.

3. There is no guarantee that different user-written programs will
use distinct filenames.

Zou Hong
========

I have reinstalled my Stata system and run "update all" in Stata.

I wonder whether there is a simply way to identify and install all
(unofficial) user-written ado files (like ivreg2 and xtabond2 and many
others).