st: 'sophisticated' subscripting

From   "Davide Cantoni" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: 'sophisticated' subscripting
Date   Sun, 27 May 2007 13:11:41 -0400

Dear all,

I have an (unbalanced) panel of cities, with their respective
populations over a series of years. Now I want to generate a new
variable that gives me, for each city, the population of that city in
1700. Due to the unbalanced nature of the panel, it is NOT the case
that 1700 is the first (or nth) observation within group, so that
subscripting within groups is not going to help me in this case. Any
suggestions?

Thanks,

Davide