Re: st: How to test for equality of variance in data with sampling weights

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: How to test for equality of variance in data with sampling weights
Date   Thu, 24 May 2007 10:22:34 -0400

Dear Steven,

thanks for your reply. The short version of the answer is, (after going back to
documentation, even though it is not specifically mentioned): the survey seems
in fact to be stratified by geographical region in the country. There is no
mentioning of clustering. However, in order to obtain a longer time series, I am
also working with the same survey reduced to the capital city only that should
be unstratified.

So, given my original question (about how to test for the equality of variance
of my labor wage variable  for the whole sample and for specific subgroups over
time, and for subgroups at the same point in time) help would be very
appreciated on both fronts, but ignoring strata for the moment is probably
easier.

Thanks in advance,
Johannes

PS: Here is the long answer: I am working with two survey series from Argentina,
the EPH. The full Argentinean survey is collected in urbean areas throughout the
country. The survey documentation is in Spanish only, and very unspecific about
sampling. The relevant section reads:

La E.P.H.  es una encuesta por muestreo, desarrollada en aglomerados urbanos;
esto significa que para conocer las diversas caracter�sticas del total de los
hogares de un aglomerado urbano se encuesta una peque�a fracci�n representativa
de los mismos

Even though it is not mentioned specifically, the notion of representativeness
by urban area implies stratification. The full document can be found on
http://www.indec.mecon.gov.ar/dbindec/login.asp, using key
DF939RFEA45YLHN01DC1VK1G8W6T4J, going to "Base Usuaria Ampliada EPH - Puntual"
and following the link "El detalle de las bases disponibles se puede consultar
aqu�".

As mentioned before, if I only use the series for one of the urban areas, there
is no stratification left.
There is no mentioning of clustering, but it does not specifically state random
sampling either.

             Steven Samuels
             <ssamuels@alban
             y.edu>                                                          To
             Sent by:                [email protected]
             owner-statalist                                                 cc
             @hsphsun2.harva
             rd.edu                                                     Subject
                                     Re: st: How to test for equality of
                                     variance in data with sampling weights
             05/22/2007
             09:38 AM